It’s an exciting time, just six days before the election. But it’s also crunch time, where everything we do—every moment we spend on reelection efforts could literally make the difference. Most polls currently have Obama and Romney tied in North Carolina. That means that the numbers in our state will likely be even closer than they were in 2008.
So please, if you haven’t voted yet, make sure to do it this week while the on campus early vote site is still open. If any of your friends haven’t voted yet, get them to the polls. Talk to the housekeepers in your dorm and the cashiers at the Marketplace and Great Hall, and ask them when they’re planning on voting. The early vote site will continue to be open in the Old Trinity Room (next to Chick Fil A) until Saturday. From now until Friday, you can vote from 9am – 7pm, and on Saturday from 8am – 1pm.
Also, if you have any free time this week, even if it’s just an hour, please come help Duke Dems and Duke Students for Obama get out the vote. Here’s what we’re up to this week:
- Wednesday - What Scares You About Mitt Romney at the West Campus Bus Stop 1:30-3 PM What scares you about Mitt Romney? Come dressed as the 47%, a binder (possibly full of women), or a sick dog on a car roof (no, we still haven’t forgotten about that one). We will be meeting at the West Campus bus stop at 2 to talk to Duke students about the horrors that a Romney presidency would bring.
- Thursday – Duke Democrats vs. Duke College Republicans Debate 6-7pm, Old Chem 116 We will be facing the Duke College Republicans in a 3 students and 1 faculty per side fight to the death friendly debate on Thursday, moderated by Professor Fullenkamp. Join the Facebook event at https://www.facebook.com/events/257151754407366/?fref=ts.
- Friday – Phone bank from Elena’s Apartment (1911 Erwin) and pizza! 6-8 PM Come hang out, eat pizza, and phone bank on Friday!
- Saturday – LAST DAY OF EARLY VOTING Marketplace/East Campus canvass and ABP West Campus canvass 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM We will be waking up any last-minute voting stragglers at 8am on Saturday to make sure as many people vote as possible. We will be meeting on East at the Marketplace and on West at ABP.
- Sunday – Phone bank with County Commissioner Candidate Wendy Jacobs 6-8PM County Commissioner Candidate Wendy Jacobs went to Duke – and she helped start the Duke Coffeehouse and taught in Durham Public Schools. That’s why we are proud to support her for Durham County Commissioner. Come to the phone bank Sunday (room TBD) to meet her and help phone bank for her and other candidates.
- Monday Nov 5 America Votes! Call your Facebook friends who haven’t voted 7-9 PM We will be calling Duke students and Durham residents who have not yet voted to remind them of their civic duty – room TBD.
- Tuesday November 6th – ELECTION DAY VOLUNTEERING We will be doing a variety of activities to get those who have not voted yet to the polls and support the efforts of Democrats in Durham. More information TBD.
In addition, please sign up for shifts here: